CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 11, 2008

A Moving Five

From Mother Laura at RevGalBlogPals:

We are right in the middle of a move--only twenty minutes away, but we're still a mix of busy, excited, nervous and surprisingly full of grief about what we're leaving, for me at least. So this week's Friday Five asks about your experience of the marvels and madness of moving...

1. How many times have you moved? When was the last time?
How many times....That's sort of hard to tell. During college alone, I lived in 7 different houses/apartments/dorms...but I just won't count each of those. I think besides those moves, I've moved 9 times. Hard to tell, really--does it count if you only live in that place for a few months?? Among those many moves, I've lived in 4 different states and 6 different cities. Latest move was last summer. Before that, I had lived 7 years in the same place.

Seems like a lot for a 29-year-old!

2. What do you love and hate about moving?
I love finding new places, getting "lost" in new cities as I find my way around. I hate the actual process, and the lack of community support that always happens at the beginning. In fact, I'm still working on that from my latest move.

3. Do you do it yourself or hire movers?
Last time: movers. All other times: myself. Fortunately, I have great friends and family.

4. Advice for surviving and thriving during a move?
That's a hard one. I think, be easy on yourself. It's hard to move because you always end up leaving things behind (metaphorically and literally). Don't stress it if you lose your way on the road, or if something breaks. Something is going to break--at least one thing always does.

5. Are you in the middle of any inner moves, if not outer ones?
No outer ones. Inner movement is constantly at work, though.

Bonus: Share a piece of music/poetry/film/book that expresses something about what moving means to you.
You know, I have the reading from Acts for today in my head--the conversion of Paul. What a huge move--and it's both inner and outer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. a move is a move - even if you only lived there a few months! (trust me)

2. the difficulty you're having currently is not something you're likely to have elsewhere ... it has everything to do with the composition of your current community, and nothing to do with you. but i think you know that already. plus, it always takes time when the support system you're working on is country-wide! :)

3. i want to help!

Sister Juliet, RSCJ said...

Hi a.c....
So, in that case... I've moved 16 or 17 times. We were forced to move out of the dorms in college, and I lived somewhere different each time. I counted the roommates once--I think I had a total of 17 over the course of 4 years. Yikes--perhaps that's why I prefer to live alone right now.

and about 2: thanks. right now it sucks.

3. you do! i'm glad for your friendship!